We have got some spectacular record breaking car leasing deals here at Compass Contract Hire at the moment and to celebrate this we thought we’d share with you some of the most spectacular world records from the world of cars and motoring. Be prepared to be amazed!
It seems as though all the major car manufacturers have jumped on the record breaking bandwagon for arranging the largest parade of their particular cars in a bid to not only get themselves the accolade of a world record, but let’s be honest here, mainly for a bit of fun brand promotion to hopefully boost sales. So, here is our rundown of some of these parades:
- Mercedes Benz bought together 257 of their vehicles at the Nürburgring race circuit in Germany, on 5 July 2014. The event, which was organised by Nicolette and Peter Mohr of SLK-Risti, saw all 257 cars complete the entire 20.8 km distance of the Nürburgring-Nordschleife track.
- On 12 April 2014 the Mt Hood Mustang and Fords Club (USA) gathered together 829 Ford cars at the Woodburn Dragstrip in Woodburn, Oregon, USA.
- The largest parade of Land Rover cars was achieved by the LandMania Clube of Portugal in Gouveia, Portugal, on 7 September 2014. 516 vehicles drove through the centre of Gouveia during the biannual Iberian Land Rover Gathering.
- In an event planned by Frank Maione, owner of Henderson Hyundai Superstore, 218 Hyundai cars paraded around Nevada, USA on 7 December 2014.
- On 17 May 2009, a record breaking 1,450 Minis took part in a two mile parade around Crystal Palace Park. Organised by the London & Surrey Mini Owners Club as part of the London to Brighton Mini Run, the event gathered together mini drivers from the UK and as far afield as the Netherlands.
- Finally, the largest parade of Volvo cars took place on 12 September 2010 in Katowice, Poland. 570 Volvos started off on the border between Katowice and Chorzow and finished along the dual carriageway in Katowice. The event was to celebrate 145 years of Katowice and people travelled from Germany, Norway and Slovakia to watch the attempt.
Most Expensive Car
Unsurprisingly, the record for the world’s most expensive car (to date) goes to Ferrari. The 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO racer became the world’s most expensive car in October 2013 after it was sold to a private buyer for an eye watering £32 million!
Oldest Functioning Car
The record for the oldest functioning car is the La Marquise. This steam-powered, four-wheeled, four-seater vehicle, which was manufactured by De Dion Bouton et Trépardoux, France in 1884 is fuelled by coal, wood and paper and can reach a top speed of 38 mph. It was sold at auction in August 2007 for £1,767,000, an absolute bargain in comparison to the Ferrari mentioned above.
Land Speed Record
The official land-speed record is 1,227.985 km/h (763.035 mi/h) (Mach 1.020), which was set by Andy Green from the UK on 15 October 1997. He achieved this outstanding record in a Thrust SSC, which was powered by two Rolls-Royce Spey 202 jet engines and can generate 222 kN (50,000 lb) of thrust. It is also the first car to officially break the sound barrier.
Highest vehicle mileage
In September 2013, Irvin “Irv” Gordon from the USA reached an impressive three-millionth mile in his 1966 Volvo 1800S. Now that is value for money! In addition to the highest vehicle mileage, drivers Andrew Frankel and Rebecca Jackson from the UK achieved the world record for most countries visited on a single tank of fuel by driving from the Netherlands then on to Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia then Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and ending in Hungary. The journey though 14 countries took a total of 28 hours.
Have we tempted you enough to come and look at out record breaking leasing deals? For more information on all of our best offers and to get your free, no obligation personalised quote contact us today.