The new Volvo XC90 SUV has been given the prestigious award of Car of the Year at this year’s Auto Express Awards.
It is the first new model to be built by Sweden’s Volvo since it was bought out from the Chinese car maker Geely and as Auto Express’s editor-in-chief Steve Fowler explains, “Geely has provided the backing for Volvo to produce one of the best cars in the world, and that’s exactly what they’ve done – the XC90 is a stunning car. Geely must be very pleased with its investment in Volvo right now.” It is the second time the XC90 has won this award, with the original Ford owned XC90 named Car Of The Year in 2003, and with it’s high tech, spacious and cool upgrade it is clearly a worthy winner.
New technology features include:
- Pilot assist system, which allows the car to drive itself through slow moving traffic and the ability to park itself in and out of spaces
- Dashboard mounted iPad style tablet, which controls the climate, multimedia and sat-nav systems.
- Sensor and camera controlled automatic engine braking.
- Seatbelts that self tighten on impact.
- Automatic vehicle immobilisation.
- Top of the range Bowers & Wilkins stereo.
- Next year will see the introduction of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
This seven seater SUV is incredibly spacious, with plenty of head and legroom and even the extra two seats in the third row are full size and comfortable, which is a rarity in these types of car. Comparisons have been made between the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne, but the new Volvo xc90 tops them both in terms of safety and price. This car is both big on the inside as well as on the outside, but even though the diesel engine is relatively small, 222bhp 2.0-litre D5, the XC90 packs a powerful punch and can manage a pretty efficient 49.6mpg with emissions of just 149g/km of CO2. There are also plans for a T8 Hybrid to be released next year, which promises 404bhp, 134.5mpg and 49g/km.
Other award winners included:
- Volkswagen – picked up a staggering 10 of the 19 awards, including one each for the Polo and Passat.
- Seat – won two awards for the Leon and Leon Cupra.
- Skoda – won two awards for the Citigo and Superb.
- Porsche – won one award for the 911 GTS
- Audi – won three awards for the A6, TT an A3 Cabriolet.
- Land Rover Defender – was awarded a special award and has become the first car to enter the Auto Express Hall of Fame after 67 years of heritage.